Sunday, May 15, 2016

Free Flowing Love.

Week 2 has come to a close! The first week here in Africa was really, really long. Luckily, this week went way faster than last week. Knowing the schedule of days really helped a lot! I've decided to write this week's blog a little bit different, to make it more interesting for you! Before I start, I have to apologize. I have been terrible at keeping up on my blog because my laptops hard drive crashed on my second layover on the way to Africa! So I have to use someone else's laptop every time so...sad day but it's all good!
Here goes week 2...
-Last Sunday in church, we all literally thought we might drown in our own sweat! The power goes out often here and at the church they only have ceiling fans. It's an open-air building, but there's rarely a breeze here, and if there is it's a HOT breeze. Since the power was out, the ceiling fans didn't work so we were raining sweat! 3/4 of the way through sacrament the power came back on, turning on the fans and man, I wish I had our reaction recorded!
-Since out reaches are usually about at least 1 hour from our hotel, we travel all over Ghana. We went to some amazing places! In total, our group served probably around 300 people just this week. Glasses are sold for 7 cedis which converts to $1.86. Eye drops are sold for 15 cedis which converts to $4. Those of you reading this that donated, I hope this helps you realize how much your donations help!! All that money goes to this fund.
-Nanayow is my favorite little boy of the week. He is 21 months and the cutest baby ever. His mom was waiting to get her eyes checked, which is generally a long time (Ghanaian time is super relaxed) and he was restless! We have enough of us volunteers that everyone once in a while I can take a break to play with the kids. I saw Nanayow and had to go play with him. I had sunglasses that I kept putting on him and he would smile so big! Then I'd take them off him and put them on me. He especially loved this because he could see his reflection in them. He would smile and stick his tongue out at himself and just laugh. Some of my group was going to buy lunch and I was going to go with them, but when I got up to leave, Nanayow just cried and cried. Short story, I didn't eat lunch that day.

-To be honest, being in Africa is a love-hate relationship. Being somewhere extremely hot, where not many people understand you, where the food is not good, where you are so far from family and friends has been a hard adjustment for me. Yet I love being here serving people who are so loving and I have always wanted to visit Africa, so being here is a dream come true. I've prayed everyday to understand why I'm here and guys, prayer works. On Tuesday, I prayed before we left to out reach that I would understand better my purpose here in Africa. We met the most loving and amazing people. One of my fellow BYU volunteers, Lily and I saw a bunch of little kids about 100 yards away from us just staring at us. (happens a lot here!) We started waving and dancing and they loved to copy us. We walked over to them and just started talking and playing any and every game we could thing of. Finally, I suggested we play Goat, Goat, Chicken (like duck, duck, goose but with animals they know). Once we started playing there was no stopping! Our group of about 10 quickly grew to around 35 as we were playing. The group wasn't just kids, but men and women of all ages. Laughing and singing was happening all around. 2 older women came to the circle and insisted that we dance with them. So much happiness! I realized then, what my purpose is here. To realize the importance of slowly our own lives down, to take time to enjoy those around us. The people here work extremely hard, but always stop to talk and laugh with us. As we left, kids held onto my hands and legs and asked if we would be back. Since we hit different villages every day, it breaks my heart having to tell them no.

-Last story! Simon is my new Africa dad. Last week, I met a man at one of our out reaches who just started talking to me. I wasn't going to sit and talk with him just because I was needed by the glasses dispensing station, but somehow I knew I needed to sit and talk with him. He asked me lots of general questions about my family, schooling and America. When he left we just normally said our goodbyes and I didn't really think more of it. This week at surgery clinic (we got to St. Thomas eye clinic once a week to watch cataract and other eye surgeries), I didn't feel like I was going to pass out and was actually able to watch them which is a blessing let me tell ya! As soon as I stepped out of the van to go into the clinic, Simon was at my side! What?! I never though I'd see him again but he was there for surgery! He was beyond happy to see me. It brought tears to my eyes seeing that someone could be so happy to see someone they barely knew. He said, "Megan! It's Simon! Remember me?! We talked about your dad who is ... many years, your mom who is ... years, your grandma who is ... years and your grandpa who is ... years!". As you can see, we talked about a lot of random things the first time we met. I have no idea how he remembered everything perfectly. He then said, "I want to be your dad in Africa. You have a dad in America, but while you are here, I want to be your dad". Later that day, he saw a woman selling donuts and said, "Here! I want to buy some for my daughter!" and gave them to me. I was overwhelmed by how easy it was for him to give. I was deeply touched by his kindness and love. As I left that night and he was waiting for his ride back to his village, he said, "If we never meet again, know your dad in Africa loves you". Tears.

From reading about these experiences, I hope
you can realize the love I have for these people and the love that they are so willing to give. People here are always trying to help us with the Twi language (even though they laugh). They're gracious people and it helps me remember my purpose. Until next week!



No comments:

Post a Comment